Eurosemillas S. A. is now marketing this promising new rice variety: 'JSENDRA' has been bred by IVIA researchers and stands out in productivity and resistance to lodging, which will have a positive impact on the income of rice growers.
It is an 'all terrain' variety, adapted to all rice growing regions of Spain. It produces a round grain, very demanded by the consumer market.
This new variety is already registered and listed on the commercial variety catalogue of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, and is therefore already available for all growers who wish to acquire it through our agents and collaborators.
JSendra is a medium-sized, pearly rice variety with a low plant height and very good resistance to lodging.
JSendra is the most productive self-pollinating variety available in the market, according to the trials carried out by the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture (Spanish Plant Variety Office) in the 2003 and 2004 seasons, and to its performance data in Andalusia, Extremadura, Tarragona and Valencia in the past two growing seasons.
RESISTANCE TO LODGING
Three special traits make this variety particularly resistant to lodging:
- Small-sized stalk, from 55 to 65 cm depending on growing region, temperature, fertilizers, etc.
- Panicles bear a relatively small quantity of grains, from 60 to 110, but due to its high planting density (no problems have been detected in high-density plantings), this variety offers great yields per hectare cultivated.
- Plants remain alive well beyond its optimum harvest point.
The latter characteristic also allows this variety to adapt to the most diverse weather conditions without having an impact on its milling performance, which has shown excellent in the past four seasons.
RESISTANCE TO PYRICULARIA
Studies carried out by the Andalusian Agricultural Testing Network (RAEA) on the behaviour of 19 rice varieties of widespread use in Spain during the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 seasons have shown that JSendra has the best resistance to this fungus.
According to our experience, the most suitable growing practices for this variety are the following:
- Normal fertilising.
- High planting density as compared to other round-grain varieties.
- Low irrigation until the seedling has a 3rd or 4th leaf.
- Normal plant health treatments.
- It is important to note that this rice variety should be reaped when the grain has a 18% humidity, even if the plants are still green.